A grant of Armorial Bearings was made to the Urban District Council of Sandbach in 1956. As part of local government reorganisation in 1974 the Urban District of Sandbach became part of the newly formed Borough of Congleton (which later became part of Cheshire East Unitary Authority) and the Town Council was set up as a successor to the Urban District Council. By an Order in Council signed by Her Majesty The Queen on the thirteenth day of October 1980, the Armorial bearings of the Urban District Council of Sandbach were "Transferred unto and do now as of right pertain and belong to the Town Council of Sandbach." A Certificate confirming the Order was issued by the College of Arms in May 1981.
The blazon is "Azure, on a Fesse Argent between in chief two Garbs and in base a representation of the Saxon Crosses of Sandbach Or, a Fesse Gules. And for the Crest on a Wreath Or and Azure in front of a Garb Or banded with silk ribbons alternately Azure and Gules a demi-Wheel of the last." The sheaves are from the arms of the Cheshire County Council and the Saxon Crosses have been a symbol of Sandbach for many years. The red half-wheel denotes the town's tradition of automotive and heavy engineering industries. The two sandstone structures are recognised as one of the finest Saxon monuments in Britain and are in the care of English Heritage.
The Saxon Crosses are thus acknowledged as a symbol of Sandbach.