Sandbach Saxon Crosses
Sandbach Armorial Bearings
Home

Literary Institute

Page image

The Literary Institution was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Early English Gothic Style, and built by Samuel Faram of Wheelock in 1857, "for the purpose of affording accommodation to the inhiabitants of the town, and for providing a suitable place as a market and corn exchange".

The building is of brick and stone dressings, and originally cost £2,700, of which £2,100 was raised by the people of the town.

See also: How to contact and find Sandbach Town Council at the Literary Institution.